The River Cottage Bread Handbook Review

The River Cottage Bread Handbook
Average Reviews:

(More customer reviews)
I just bought this book and took some time reading through the first 70 pages or so where Stevens invites you into a sort of bread-baking 101 where he so clearly and concisely lays it all out that I could picture myself walking through each step.

I have several other bread books and have made bread frequently in the last year or so and have found some better than others at depicting the steps and ingredients. Although I haven't made anything from Stevens' book yet, I plan to have fun with it on my next kitchen adventures. He's got a nice sense of humor (see pic# 3 on page 47 of trying to windowpane a rye bread)and has gone to great lengths to lay the book out intelligently without repeating the instructions for the basics each time.

The point made in a previous reviewer's comments about it confusing the issue of using a baking tray or stone is one such issue. On page 53 "Preparing for baking" he gives you an option of using a baking sheet or a stone. He instructs you to pre-heat the baking sheet if you're going that route. Later in the recipes when it comes to that point, he simply reminds you to get it out of the oven now because it's about time to hoist that baby onto it and get it back in the oven to bake.

He covers a number of breads, yeasted, un-yeasted, baked in the oven or on a grill or flat griddle, and most unique, he provides details and pictures on building a clay oven out in your backyard--there's another great adventure that lies ahead!

Last but not least, it's in a nice format--just like your old English grammar handbooks, and the pages are printed on almost card stock quality paper.

I'm giving it a 4 because of the things I learned from it, the entertainment he provided, and his encouragement to go on not only the bread adventure but also the clay oven adventure. If I make his breads and they are wonderful, I'll come back and give it a 5!

Click Here to see more reviews about: The River Cottage Bread Handbook



Buy NowGet 32% OFF

Want to read more honest consumer review about The River Cottage Bread Handbook now ?

0 comments:

Post a Comment